I keep forgetting to put my memory card in my camera, so I don’t have any pictures of my meals today. Too bad- my breakfast was actually kind of pretty! It involved pears… always a good thing.
I took the idea from Run, Yoga, Repeat to write 15 random things about myself. So, without further ado…
1. I decided to start this blog after reading a post on someone’s blog where they talked about how they like to go to grocery stores, even if they don’t buy anything. It made me realize that there are other people out there like me 🙂
2. One of my best friends in elementary school was Japanese, and taught me how to (sort of) speak and write the language. I forgot most of it when she moved back to Japan, and I have a ton of letters we wrote back and forth in Japanese that I can’t understand anymore! I also tried to learn Dutch when I was a teenager, but that didn’t really work out. (The title of this post is ‘fifteen’ in Dutch.)
3. I very rarely drink. I don’t like most alcohol, and I do stupid things when I drink too much, like sing karaoke at family reunions and look way too enthusiastic about it.
4. I’m terrified of lightning, getting electrocuted, hippopotamuses, and Elijah Wood. (ESPECIALLY Elijah Wood.) All of these fears were born from nightmares I’ve had. You haven’t experienced fear until you’ve woken up from a nightmare where a hippo is biting your neck…
5. Although I’d like to kill her half the time, my twin sister is my best friend and other half. She’s moving to Portland next year and I’m going to Colorado, but everyone has their doubts that we are actually going to move apart. I guess we’ll see in a few months 🙂
6. Until I started eating healthier last year, I could go weeks without eating a vegetable. Months, even. I’m trying to get better about eating a variety of veggies- I eat spinach faithfully, though!
7. One of my goals in life is to travel to every continent and every state. I’ve been to three continents (Europe, Australia, and North America) and 20 states. When I went to Colorado last year, my friend and I commandeered my friend’s car when she was at work and drove through Wyoming to get to Nebraska, just to say we had been there 🙂
8. When I was in Rome, I was about ten feet away from the Pope and we made eye contact! I didn’t have my camera, but my friend snapped this picture of him as he was departing in his Popemobile. He also blessed everyone during the service we attended. As a baptized (although very UNpracticing Catholic) I was very happy 🙂
9. I’m really fascinated with serial killers. I know it sounds really weird, but I think it’s so interesting to read about them! I’m really squeamish, so I don’t like to actually hear about the gore or anything, but the psychology behind them is intriguing to me. It really creeps my parents out, especially because my friend bought me the ‘Encyclopedia of Serial Killers’ for Christmas a few years ago…
10. I’m technically an English major, but sometimes consider changing to child development, history, or psychology. Leaning towards history, although I have no idea what I’d do with it!
11. A few months ago, I stuck a cutting board in the oven because I thought it was a pizza stone. It melted all over and totally ruined one of our oven racks, and my dad spent all morning cutting it out. (I helped, I promise!) He cringes every time I get near the oven 🙂
12. I live for September 1st ever year. Even though California has no real autumn to speak of, it’s the day I start baking pumpkin treats, drink pumpkin beer, and decorate my house for fall. I might be a little obsessed…
13. Yogurt is a major food group in my diet and eating certain yogurts is really nostalgic for me. I don’t care how much high fructose corn syrup it has… the best yogurt will always be Yoplait Thick and Creamy Strawberry. It reminds me of being a kid! Until I branched out and started eating other yogurts, I thought every yogurt had a custardy texture. Man, was I disgusted the first time I ate ‘real’ yogurt. I love it now, though 🙂
14. I think my parents are the cutest, sassiest people are I know, and I aspire to have a marriage like theirs when I’m older. They’ve been married for 27 years and raised three kids… no easy feat if you knew us when we were teenagers!
15. I jumped down a flight of stairs when I was 14 and landed so hard I am positive I cracked a rib. I never went to the doctor (I used to be a real hypochondriac, and everyone thought I was exaggerating) but I could hardly move for two days and now, when I move a certain way, I feel a pop where I hurt myself. I don’t know if there’s a way to tell what really happened, but even after 8 years, I still think I did!
What are some random facts about you? I can’t be the only one who is terrified of Elijah Wood, right?!